Tuesday, April 19, 2011

When It's Springtime in the Rockies

... The dern Wind Will Blow All Day....
Wait, that's not one of the verses in that song.  Maybe it should be.
Last night (Monday) the wind howled again, though this time I didn't have to go outside in my underwear and capture any flying construction materials.  The weather guessers again called for more wind today wth a faint possibility of moisture.  I'm doing my part by riding my bicycle with the windows wide open so as to provide a tempting target for rain but it hasn't worked that well so far this year.
Last night on the way home the wind was huffing pretty good but it was almost a tail wind, almost helping me along instead of hindering me.  This morning it was 52 degrees when I woke up at 5:16 AM and I layered on only the light eye-catcher-yellow windbreaker for the ride to work, and got only slightly overheated.
I recently read an article on the near-universal sleep deprivation most of us suffer from.  I did the math on my quasi-normal "schedule" and realized that by going to bed at 10:30 or 11:00 PM and waking up to the alarm at 4:30 I was trying to "get by" on a bit less than 6 hours of sleep.  I set the alarm that early in hopes of getting out of the house earlier so I can ride the bike and still get in a good 8 hours at work and get home with sufficient time to chase Jacque around the house in the evening.  As it turns out I tend to fritter away the extra time and seldom get out of the house before 6:30 or 7:00 AM even though I've been up for a couple hours by then.  Last night I set my alarm for 5:30 and got to bed just after 10 PM and, even though it wasn't much difference from my "normal schedule", I actually felt livelier when I awoke this morning and THINK so far I haven't been as sleepy as I normally am all day.  I'm gonna make an effort to get closer to 8 hours of sleep for at least a few weeks and see if it helps.  I do tire of feeling droopy all day. 
Too much interesting things to do and a very short time left before I lay down in my coffin.  I wish I could do without sleep altogether.  When I'm dead I'll have all the sleep I need.  However, according to some of these sleep studies, getting more sleep may actually lengthen out the average lifespan....
Awakening BG:  unk  Post-Ride BG:  90
Morning Stats from the GPS:                 Total Miles:  7.42
Overall average speed      Moving Avg         Max Speed
09.5  Mph                          10.4 mph             20.9 mph
Total Trip time                   Moving Time       Stopped Time
46:59 mins                          42:55 mins            04:04 mins

The Evening Return Ride...
Was, again, a bit breezy but not a bit unpleasant.  Many, many more walkers and cyclists and skateboarders popping up every day.  I passed a very attractive item of "eye candy" going through the north end of Balloon Fiesta Park and had thought I would post a video of her tonight, but of course when I actually see something or someone camera-noteworthy, the camera had shut itself off for whatever reason.  Every morning and evening I get almost a full hour of video of...... the same old trail, rocking and rolling along, and the video is recorded in boring faithfulness.  Oh Well. 
Starting BG:  158      Back-At-home arrival BG:  unk
Afternoon Stats from the GPS:                       Total Miles:  7.42
Overall average speed      Moving Avg         Max Speed
08.5  Mph                          10.0 mph             19.7 mph
Total Trip time                   Moving Time       Stopped Time
52:08 mins                         44:41 mins            07:26 mins 

No comments:

Post a Comment