Monday, April 11, 2011

Global Warming Retreats, Again

We suffered through a horribly windy blustery weekend.  Saturday I thought the roof of the house was doomed, thought my 50 foot radio tower was doomed, it was not  a fun day.  I did get the trash barrels emptied and the bags hauled to the waste transfer station in Tijeras, but even doing that I thought the tarp covering the trash trailer would surely rip, fly away, and disappear.... but somehow it, and we, survived the weekend.
Sunday, yesterday, was bright and sunny but surprisingly cold.  We always take our Papillon lap-dawg with us to Church and leave her in the SUV while we're inside, and make sure to leave the windows open a few inches so she doesn't get overheated.  I checked the car after sacrament meeting and discovered it was almost FREEZING inside the car, even though the sun was still brightly shining and by now it was noonish.  I rolled up 3 of the 4 windows to try to cut down on the cold breeze getting inside the vehicle but the wind was still whistling away  and refrigerating the insides of the car, so I rolled up the last remaining window.  It still was none too warm.  We built a fire in the wood stove when we got home and kept it going until bedtime.  Good thing we got another trailer load of scrap lumber from a friend's home remodeling project about 6 weeks or more ago.
Today, Monday, was a bit warmer than Sunday but still chilly.  I decided to wear my cold weather gear on the bike, except for the face mask, and did NOT get a bit overheated on the 7 mile ride to work.  I thought I could get by without chemical hand warmers in my ski mittens and paid for that foolishness dearly:  My fingers were painfully cold and numb most of the way to work.  ...'Tis the season..... cold weather layers in the morning, had to run the car heater, and this evening I expect I'll be down to no jacket at all, shirt sleeves rolled up, and running the A/C when I get back to the car.
Having trouble keeping my blood glucose controlled today, though it seemed in good control all night. BAH
Awakening BG:  105  Post-Ride BG:  190 (!)
Morning Stats from the GPS:                       Total Miles:  7.44
Overall average speed      Moving Avg         Max Speed
10.2  Mph                          11.4 mph             22.7 mph
Total Trip time                   Moving Time       Stopped Time
43:39 mins                          39:03 mins            04:35 mins

Today was entirely beautiful.  The ride back to the car tonight was uneventful, except for the continually increasing number of cyclists met coming and going, AND I was FINALLY able to catch my bike-trail roadrunner buddy on video:
Wiley RoadRunner started to first hide in the weeds but when I stopped the bike he came out to see what was going on.  As I whistled and chucked to him, he came within a few feet of me and then took off down the side of the ditch beside me.  Kool Bird.  Supposedly they are death on mice and bugs.  Hoorah for Roadrunners.
Bit of a cool headwind this evening while riding but not bad at all.
Starting BG:  UNK      Back-At-home arrival BG:  170 
Afternoon Stats from the GPS:                       Total Miles:  7.48
Overall average speed      Moving Avg         Max Speed
09.6  Mph                          10.9 mph             23.1 mph
Total Trip time                   Moving Time       Stopped Time
46:37 mins                         41:20 mins            05:17 mins

1 comment:

  1. It's going to get better! Probably by June or later though!

    ReplyDelete