Tuesday, June 14, 2011

After a Day Off, Back to Work

Track the loonie via the ham radio/gps tracker
I took yesterday, Monday, off, so I could try to catch up on my yard-work:  In spite of the horrible drought we're in, our "Wild Bird-Seed Weeds" are taking over the yard again.  We've paid professionals to spray and cut the weeds, supposedly eradicating them, but they're back, with a vengeance.  My current strategy is to soak the roots immediately under each horrific weed cluster and pull the shock of weeds out incuding the muddy root-mass, which is substantial.   I only got about a third done with the immediate weed challenge, so it's back to a few clusters each morning and evening.. but that third of the yard I got done sure looks nice.  For now.
No wild incident noticed on the bike as of late... the Arizona Smoke is pretty thin and breathable the last couple of days.   We'll see how it is this afternoon, when it's always worse.  I have paint-mask face breathers in my pannier if needed.
I tried a different radio setup this morning... I worked on it yesterday in between weed-pulling excursions to the front yard.  I could never find a good mount to use my Kenwood TH-F6A triband handheld radio on the bike, but I noticed yesterday that the existing RAM mount I use for the TH-D7AG dual band / TNC radio ALMOST fit the F6 perfectly as to width, but too large in length.  So by trimming the lower lip of the mount (to clear the tiny control buttons on the lower end of the F6) and drilling the plastic mount for a 3" 6/32 screw to hold the radio in place from the top, it works quite well, and by removing the screw the mount can hold the original D7 radio if desired.  I emailed RAM, the manufacturer, to see if they are interested in this simple mod to make their D7 mount marketable to more people.  If they don't respond soon, and they probably won't, I'll publish the mod on one of the ham radio internet sites.
Awakening BG:  125                              Post-Ride BG:  203(!) (The Pizza Slice I had for Breakfast must have had more than the 25 Carbs I pumped for)
Morning Stats from the GPS:                 Total Miles:  7.61
Overall average speed      Moving Avg         Max Speed
10.2  Mph                          12.7 mph             23.1 mph
Total Trip time                   Moving Time       Stopped Time
46:47 mins                          36:16 mins            10:48 mins

The ride back to the car was surprising in that (1) I had a fair tail-wind and (2) the air was surprisingly clear.  It has been regularly worse in the afternoons, and little progress has been made in containing the fires... the wind pattern must have shifted.
Just when I arrived at the carrito and was unpacking the bike, another recumbent rider rode up to talk and compare rides.  He was a new 'bent rider and - like me - loved it.  His was a nice like-new factory built recumbent he bought used for $450 - a smoking bargain in the world of recumbents.
Beginning BG:  unk                              Post-Ride BG:  55
Evening Stats from the GPS:                 Total Miles:  7.47
Overall average speed      Moving Avg         Max Speed
09.0  Mph                          11.5 mph             23.2  mph
Total Trip time                   Moving Time       Stopped Time
50:03 mins                        39:03 mins            11:00 mins  

No comments:

Post a Comment