Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Wow, 3 Bike-Riding hams at one time in the same city

Follow Jim's boringly predictable commute-route on Google

Well, I was just riding my bike to work.... and checked into the local morning net on the Kenwood F6 handlebar mounted radio.  After that was over I pushed the "Scan" button and began talking with Mark, W5MHG, who also turned out to be on HIS bicycle up on Tramway.  After we chatted for several minutes Phil, W5PWB, chimed in on the conversation from HIS bicycle:  Phil was also on his way to work and we had a 3-way radio conversation going on between 3 bicycles separated miles apart.  Too Cool.  It's seldom enough I ever catch another ham cyclist on the air and bike at the same time as I'm riding, but TWO other hams on 2-wheels?  Far Out, as they used to say maybe 40 years ago or so.
BTW, I've had several queries about the helmet-microphone-earphone setup I use.
Click here for the Ebay link to the vendor~
You'll have to poke around for other links if you use radios other than Kenwood... I'm sure this same vendor markets similar kits wired for Icoms and Yaesus as well.
Awakening BG:  163                              Post-Ride BG:  87
Morning Stats from the GPS:                 Total Miles:  7.47
Overall average speed      Moving Avg         Max Speed
09.6  Mph                          11.0 mph             21.1 mph
Total Trip time                   Moving Time       Stopped Time
46:49 mins                          40:42 mins           06:07 mins

I  started to try to do a short video of all the other cyclists I met or was passed by on the way back to the car tonight, but I didn't have time to glotch it up.  My ride was a bit quicker than usual because (1) Jacque called on the radio and wanted to meet me at my parking spot so I could retrieve our puppy-lap dog from her and take Tinkerbell home, and she didn't want to have to sit and wait for me 30 minutes or more for my slow butt to show up.  So I cranked as fast as my old legs would take me, and (2) I passed a female cyclist who was a tad slower than I was, but human nature beiing what it is, she sped up as I passed her and kept me chugging to stay ahead of her.  A little old-man motivation like that works pretty well to get me cranking faster than I normally do.  Unless they're just too fast for me to stay ahead of (normally, anyone over the age of 5 and under 95 and not crippled or repairing a flat tire).
Beginning BG:  196                              Post-Ride BG:  184
Evening Stats from the GPS:                 Total Miles:  7.43
Overall average speed      Moving Avg         Max Speed
11.2  Mph                          12.3 mph             22.2  mph
Total Trip time                   Moving Time       Stopped Time
39:42 mins                        36:07 mins            03:35 mins     

No comments:

Post a Comment