Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Mystery - Why Don't Most People Ride Bikes?

errant bicycle tracker via ham radio, gps, and other nefarious methodologies
More cyclists turn up each warm wonderful day, but cars (with one person inside) still outnumber cyclists by the zillions.  Riding the bike is just SO much enjoyment:  The pleasure of traveling under your own power, at relatively fast speeds (compared to walking, or trapped in one of the I-40 / I-25 "parking lot" traffic snarl-ups), the breeze in the face, the fresh air, seeing the rabbits, lizards, occasional coyote, roadrunners, birds, enjoying both the sunshine and the occasional shade of an overhanging tree (God's best form of Air Conditioning).  It's Easy, it's Fun..... Why, I ask, don't MOST of us ride bikes instead of just a few?
AH.  DANGEROUS, you say....?  I don't know how many people I encounter who say "I've got a new or good bike out in the garage, but I never ride it... I wish it was safer, maybe then I would ride more."
Well, there is the danger.  BUT, compared to WHAT?  Life itself is inherently dangerous... We were safest when still inside our Mother's Womb,  warm and suspended and fed and nourished.... but unable to ride the BIKE.  As well as many other activities we've all enjoyed since leaving Mommy's Tummy, ALL of which have associated DANGERS.  The death rate from DRIVING or riding in CARS is actually unreasonably high, but we feel safe inside a big steel motorized cage.  It really only feels that way.  Take a look at highway fatality rates sometime.  ANYWAY. HUMBUG
I still drive my car, truck, and occasionally even the RV (not so much with a tank of gas costing more than a hundred bucks a pop).  I still like to drive, though not as much as I used to back when I-40 didn't exist, Route 66 was a two-lane highway that my Dad would let me drive on while sitting in his lap, steering but too short to reach the pedals...... /Old Farte Mode OFF.  When it's too far away and you have to be there in a certain time, it makes sense to drive a motorized vehicle.  But me, if I lived within 20 miles of work instead of 35, I'd get rid of all our cars except one and RIDE the great majority of the time.  I just can't figure out why everyone in the world doesn't feel the same way.  There are studies showing that you actually will statistically live LONGER if you put a lot of miles on your bike instead of your car.  Sure, it makes headlines on the evening news when some inattentive drone kills a cyclist by texting, drunking, or otherwise not paying attention to their driving.  But there are still a lot more fatalities of people getting killed inside CARS than those being whacked on bicycles.  I'll look up some of the statistics from actual, unretouched, infallible Internet sources and list them sometime.
Awakening BG:  131                              Post-Ride BG:  93(!) (The Pizza Slice I had for Breakfast worked OK today!)
Morning Stats from the GPS:                 Total Miles:  7.37
Overall average speed      Moving Avg         Max Speed
10.1  Mph                          12.6 mph             24.7 mph
Total Trip time                   Moving Time       Stopped Time
43:59 mins                          35:04 mins           08:55 mins

Beginning BG:  100                              Post-Ride BG:  41 (!)
(Had to stuff down (1) an apple, (2), an oatmeal-choc-chip bar, and after driving a couple miles and feeling really nasty, pulled over and stopped and ate a Nutrageous candy bar.  After about 10 minutes waiting I finally felt human again and proceeded home --
Evening Stats from the GPS:                 Total Miles:  7.46
Overall average speed      Moving Avg         Max Speed
09.8  Mph                          11.0 mph             25.2  mph
Total Trip time                   Moving Time       Stopped Time
45:03 mins                        40:51 mins            05:28 mins   

No comments:

Post a Comment