Friday, June 10, 2011

... Out of a Blue, Clear, Sky

Track this Lunatick on the Web
With due credit to George Strait for writing a song with that phrase in it.
In spite of the lack of rain, the smoke and ash and gray/brown air from the Arizona fires seems to dissipated quite a bit.  We still have "official air quality alerts" in force, which don't seem to have much linkage to the reality ooutside.  A bit of head-wind this morning and a little wee bit cooler than necessary (about 62 in Albuq this morning), so I was a tad chilled riding eith only my Iridescent yellow-green  Bike ABQ tee shirt to cover my torso.  Great riding nonetheless.
I was amazed to meet an oncoming, eastbound, gaggle of cyclists coming past me,  there must have been 20 of them.  A club or group ride, I suppose. 
New cam should be here any day now, to provide real world unretouched unimpeachable photos and videos of such incidents.
Awakening BG:  190 (!)                              Post-Ride BG:  60
Morning Stats from the GPS:                 Total Miles:  7.43
Overall average speed      Moving Avg         Max Speed
09.9  Mph                          11.5 mph             25.0 mph
Total Trip time                   Moving Time       Stopped Time
44:59 mins                          38:51 mins            06:08 mins

The ride back to the car from work??  I was blessed with a fairly strong headwind most of the southbound ride but I've learned to just gear down a bit and not fight it and keep chugging.  NO PROBLEM.
Jacque tells me I better say HI to Jessica out in Tennessee, who she claims reads this blog at least occasionally.  I'm happy to add Jess to the list of good looking women who read this (HINT: All these  women consist of, let's see..... Wife, Sister, and Daughters, of which group Jess belongs to.
Beginning BG:  85                              Post-Ride BG: UNK (obviously I snacked before riding)
Evening Stats from the GPS:                 Total Miles:  7.41
Overall average speed      Moving Avg         Max Speed
09.7  Mph                          11.1 mph             23.5  mph
Total Trip time                   Moving Time       Stopped Time
45:58 mins                        40:09 mins            05:49 mins  

4 comments:

  1. It's fun to see you now and then on your bike. As for the air quality, it sure has been tough on Mark and other asthmatics. I can hear him wheezing a lot more than he normally does, and I know he's been hitting his inhaler a lot. A friend in ABQ, with two asthmatic boys, has been trying to find a way to get them out of the smoke, up to family in UT. I guess for those of us with healthy respiratory systems, it's not bad. For the others though, it's been rough.
    -Kari

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I have suffered from asthma in years past, and used the pills and inhaler and such like.
    Back then I DETESTED cigar and cigarette smokers, a mild whiff of which would send me staggering for the inhaler. The worst day I think (for me) was Monday, when I ate an apple in the car after riding the bike with no paint-mask,,, the apple peel tasted like it was coated with smoke-smell-taste. I think my nose was full of smoke oil or something. Every bite tasted of smoke.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Uh- George Strait didn't write that song...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, you're right: Bob DiPiero, John Jarrard and Mark D. Sanders wrote it, and I shoulda looked it up. Just cuz George is seemingly the only one who ever sang it does not mean he wrote it.

    ReplyDelete