Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Don't Exercise Outside.....

This was the headline on the morning news channels this morning.  A good example of how the media is disconnected from what actually is going on... I'm certain they over react with their dire warnings, to err on the side of caution.  I took a face mask with me today to wear while riding the bike, but when I got to Albuquerque the air was almost clear;   it was no worse than yesterday and likely better.  Since there was still a bit of haze in the air I  opted to wear the mask anyway just to see if I could wear one while gasping for air on the bike ride.

The mask turned out to be not that bad.  It got hot and sweaty inside it but it seemed to keep the stink and burning smell at bay, AND it did not overly hinder me while I rode, up hill and down dale.  The smoke is supposed to again get worse this afternoon, and if  so, I'll be happy I have my blue nurse-mask again.
I might have to stock up on a few of these beauties.  The fires in AZ are totally out of control and the wind continues to blow the fires and smoke our way, with no immediate relief in sight.  We are all praying for good rains which likely will be the only thing that can wash this smoke out of the air AND get the fires cooled down enough to finally conquer them.
Awakening BG:  253(!)                              Post-Ride BG:  68
Morning Stats from the GPS:                 Total Miles:  7.40
Overall average speed      Moving Avg         Max Speed
10.3  Mph                          12.5 mph             23.2 mph
Total Trip time                   Moving Time       Stopped Time
43:00 mins                          35:23 mins            07:37 mins

No comments:

Post a Comment