Wednesday, June 29, 2011

More Dryness, your highness

If you ever decide to look for deep meaning in my post titles, don't bother.
The big rain I was so excited about yesterday turned out to hardly settle the dust, and it soaked in / evaporated so fast there was little evidence of moisture by the time I got home.  
Today:  Clear and sunny and warm, noticeable smoke-haze in the air but eminently refreshing to breathe (Thank goodness I no longer suffer from Asthma)
We are really blessed out in the Southwest:  Well over 300 sunny days of the year, and more than that are altogether suitable for bicycle riding.  No need for special clothes or specialized equipment, just a bicycle with air in the tires.  If an old fart like me at age 64 can ride year round then anyone can.  I was going to say "Unless you have only one leg, arm, etc.", but I regularly see legless cyclists screaming along pumping their arm-powered bikes at speeds faster than I can attain, so incomplete limb-sets are no excuse either.  The cyclist world has seen several links to a hand-less olympic-style bicycle racer from Mexico who smokes along all over the world winning races and can truly say aloud:  "!Mira, Mama', Sin Manos!"
Awakening BG:  117                              Post-Ride BG: 88
Beginning Battery Voltage: 13.2         Ending Voltage: 11.1
Morning Stats from the GPS:                 Total Miles:  7.44
Overall average speed      Moving Avg         Max Speed
09.9  Mph                          11.6 mph             21.7 mph
Total Trip time                   Moving Time       Stopped Time
45:01 mins                          38:32 mins           06:29 mins

LOST & FOUND

On the way back to the car tonight the wind was HORRIBLE.  Maybe not the worst I've ever endured (I wasn't whammed up against the guard rail or off the trail this time) but it was bad.  Always glad to get out of the wide open trail to the in-town trails with lots of houses and trees blocking the WIND.  BAH
As I crossed the bone-shaker long bicycle bridge just south of Osuna, I spotted something right out in the middle of the paved bike path...... Sure enough, it was a pocketbook.  I had my cell phone, but no directory, so I figured I'd have no way to track down the owner without help from someone like the lovely Jacque.  So I stuck it in one of my cargo leg pockets and rode on to the carrito.  When I arrived at the car, I dug through the pocketbook looking for ID, phone number, address, you know the drill..... Of course, no phone numbers were in there, but MERCY.  The pretty young lady Lisa had maybe a dozen merchant and charge cards, one of them new and un-signed, several slips of paper with email address and PASSWORDS to various things -- SCARY.
Lisa's driver's license was there, along with an address, but no phone number.  I called Jacque and enlisted her help tracking down a phone number for her.  No luck on the internet, but believe it or not, she was in the old fashioned phone book, but she wasn't home.  I decided to drive to the address and see if anyone was home - and of course there wasn't.  I sat outside the home and read my current paperback novel for close to 40 minutes and finally gave up and came home.  Jacque had called her listed number, gotten the voice mail, and left a message that her stuff was safe and left my cell number so she could call me.  Of course she finally called..... just as I approached the outer gate to our property in the East Mountains 20+ miles away.  She's going to meet me tomorrow and retrieve her valuables.  I chewed her out royally for having all those passwords and usernames IN THE SAME PLACE with the associated debit and charge cards.  She took it in good grace and of course is thrilled her stuff is safe.  The reason she wasn't home, of course, was that she was out frantically searching for it all over the place.  Nice ending to a windy nasty afternoon.
We enjoyed a joyful encounter with her the next day when Jacque and I met her in a library parking lot and returned the treasures to her.
Beginning BG:  131                             Post-Ride BG:  58 (!)
Beginning Battery Voltage: 12.8 (With intermediate charging) Ending Voltage: 11.9
Evening Stats from the GPS:                 Total Miles:  7.54
Overall average speed      Moving Avg         Max Speed
07.8  Mph                          09.1 mph             22.8  mph
Total Trip time                   Moving Time       Stopped Time
58:08 mins                        49:42 mins            08:26 mins

No comments:

Post a Comment