Friday, February 25, 2011

Friday, Finally

As usual, the weather guessers were quite a bit off in their dire forecasts for wind Friday.  The wind DID blow, but not all that bad.  There was just enough breeze  on the way back from work to keep me cooled down.  Funny how being a regular bike rider makes you realize how cooler weather is not a bad thing.... you realize in a few weeks the weather will be warmer and you'll have to deal with down-to-the-belly-button sweating... you can always add another layer to keep warm (then fight to rip it off when it starts sweating inside) but there are only so many layers you can take OFF when it's hot....
For some reason my BG was quite low late Friday afternoon, and eating my peanut butter 'N honey sandwich didn't do much for it...  Almost an hour later when I was ready to mount up, the BG was 76 and I wasn't feeling up to strength, so I snarfed a 29-carb oatmeal choc chip snack bar as I was headed out the door.  I still did not have normal strength on the ride back so I was slower than normal.  Yes, I had a slightly gusty cross breeze facing me for about 4 miles, but it was not as much of a factor slowing me down as the low BG was.
When I got back to the parking lot, a young guy maybe 12 years old watched me closely as I rode up and unsaddled all my junk and racked the bike onto the car.  I said "Hi" to him, half expecting the usual comments or questions about the funny bike, but he never said a word.
BG before ride home:  76   BG after getting to car, no snack yet:  107 (ate the power bar without bolusing)
Evening stats from the GPS:    Total Distance Miles:  7.45
Overall average speed     Moving Avg      Max Speed
9.1  Mph                             9.8 mph            21.4 mph
Total Trip time                Moving Time     Stopped Time
  47:20 mins                       43:10 mins          02:21 mins

Great weather now for bike riding.  I always turn on the early morning TV weather and then wind up ignoring most of what's forecast since they are so seldom right, and even when right, they usually over exaggerate the severity of whatever's supposed to happen.  Several times in the past I've decided not to ride the bike because it was forecast to rain, blow, etc., only to see a lovely sunny day transpire without me being on the bike.  BAH.
So now I normally watch the weather, (after all, I'm highly interested in it, even if it's inaccurate), but try to use my noggin for my daily ride/don't ride decision.  If the trees are leaning over dangerously from wind when I get close to my normal bike/car transfer parking place, I might decide to just drive on in.  If it's raining HARD I'll skip the bike ride.  A mild drizzle is no problem, nor is light snow.  But if the streets show signs of ice I've learned I probably should drive all the way to work.  Bike trails get no snow plowing and too little traffic to "burn off the ice".  This morning, as with the last 3 mornings, EXTREMELY high winds were forecast.  The last 2 days have seen only mild breezes, not enough for a realistic weather babe to even comment on.  I rode the bike.
Great ride. No funny or dangerous incidents.  Shucks.
Awakening BG:  122  Post-Ride BG:  107
Morning Stats from the GPS:                       Total Miles:  7.43
Overall average speed      Moving Avg         Max Speed
10.6  Mph                          11.6 mph             22.5 mph
Total Trip time                   Moving Time       Stopped Time
42:03 mins                          38:35 mins            03:28 mins

No comments:

Post a Comment