Friday, February 11, 2011

TGIF Commute, Ran out of Bicycle Gas

It was noticeably warmer this morning though still very cold.  Getting more used to (and attached to) my orange tinted ski goggles.  They even do a fair job of blocking blinding sun, and they do a GREAT job of preventing my eye sockets and cheekbones from aching with pain from the cold.
I always enjoy a ham radio conversation or two during my commutes, and this morning was no different.
Checked into the SCAT (Senior Citizens And Travelers) radio net on 145.33 this morning and also talked to WB5QYT and KH6JTM on 146.58 simplex for a while.  QYT stopped talking since he had arrived at work, so Gary KH6JTM kept me company for a few more miles.  As I approached the Alameda bike underpass, I realized I was getting spacey, a sure sign of low blood sugar.  I'd been noticing it a little the last mile or so but had hoped to straggle on and make it to work before eating.  I'm very glad I stopped.  I guess Gary might have called Jacque if I'd just dropped out of the radio conversation without notice but who knows.   By the time I got stopped I was quite dizzy and confused and struggled getting the wrapper off my chocolate chip oatmeal bar.  It was near frozen and hard to chew, but I got it down.  I resumed riding immediately, and struggled for another mile before I stopped wobbling  around and started feeling human again.  Thank goodness most of my commute is on relatively empty bike trails and not city streets dodging cars....
Morning Stats from the GPS:
Overall average speed      Moving Avg         Max Speed

  8.2  Mph                           9.8 mph            19.1 mph
Total Trip time                   Moving Time       Stopped Time
54:50 mins                          45.43 mins         09.07 mins

1 comment:

  1. Well, at least you didn't pass out - being on relatively empty bike trails isn't a good thing if you pass out! Enjoying the blog!

    ReplyDelete