Friday, February 18, 2011

Friday's Fine Ride

This is an admittedly fuzzy cell photo of my upgraded Garmin 350 display.  If you scrinch your eyes carefully you can make out the ham radio callsign of KH6JTM-1 who is transmitting his position via ham radio as well.
So I now can see other beaconing ham radio geeks in the area.  Very cool geek stuff.
This morning it was 29 degrees at home when I left, several degrees cooler than the last 2 days but all feels comfy compared to the close-to-ZERO temperatures a couple weeks ago.
When I go to the Carlisle bike crossing I was pleasantly surprised to find no traffic in the northbound lanes so I was able to cross to the median safety pocket without stopping.  As I stopped in the median, I saw the southbound car nearest me stopped to let me pass, but a speeding pickup behind him was swerving around him to pass, without even slowing down, so I didn't take advantage of the ONE motorist's kindness.  When he saw the pickup fly by on his right and that I wasn't yet moving, he decided he had waited long enough and accelerated back up to speed as though to say "You had your Chance!"  It actually complicates crossing such streets when the occasional motorist decides to stop for bikes waiting in the crossing.  The cyclist hates to make him wait, but seldom do the other 2 lanes stop, so it just makes crossings awkward.  I find it much easier for motorists just to stay at speed, allowing us to cross when the wide-enough-to-cross gaps in traffic occur.
On certain days and times that can drag out to several minutes, but it's peferable to motorists getting confused and more irritated by some stopping and some zooming at bike crossings.
Morning Stats from the GPS:                       Total Miles:  7.43
Overall average speed      Moving Avg         Max Speed
  09.3  Mph                          10.4 mph            19.5 mph
Total Trip time                   Moving Time       Stopped Time
47:50 mins                          43:02 mins           04:48 mins

No comments:

Post a Comment