Tuesday, February 15, 2011

The Morning After.... Valentine's Day

This morning was a typical day for a diabetic like me.  My Blood Glucose (BG) was 224 when I awoke this morning.  I wear an insulin pump, so I entered that BG value and let it decide how much to pump.  I thought it looked like a little too much, but I generally guess wrong when second-guessing the pump's computer so I hit the "GO" button and within an hour I was crashing and burning.  For you non-diabetics, that means I was getting wobbly and dizzy from LOW BG.  I checked it again when I realized I was getting loopy and it was now down to 55.  Not dangerously low, but low enough to cause confusion and "mushy" motor control of my normally-agile arms, fingers, and legs.   Forget the brain....
So, I consumed both my breakfast sandwich and some additional carbs, and within 20 minutes felt like I could tackle the world again.
During this morning's bike ride, I was head-achey and seemed to be lacking normal leg pumping strength so I assumed my BG was still low.  Not So.  As with many diabetics, the symptoms of HIGH BG and LOW BG are disturbingly similar:  I cannot "Tell for SURE" whether my symptoms indicate high OR low BG, I must prick the fingers and take a quick blood test to find out.  When I cannot take the time or opportunity to test a pin-prick blood sample, I follow the basic diabetic rule:  When in doubt, eat something sweet.  If the BG is too low it may prevent blackouts or seizures (neither of which I've ever experienced, YET, in almost 30 years of injecting insulin), and if the BG is in fact too high, raising it a bit more is less dangerous than letting it get too low.
Anyway, this morning it was 35 degrees at the house when I left, so I didn't break open any chemical hand warmers, and I didn't wear my ski face mask for the ride.  I should have.  The wind chill must have been sharper than expected, because it was uncomfortably COLD this morning.
I'd noticed a day or so ago that one of my rear fender struts was broken, allowing the fender to almost rub against the tire.  I have no way of welding aluminum so I zip-tied it with black zip-ties, which seem to last several months to a year or more out in the air and sunlight.

Morning Stats from the GPS:                       Total Miles:  7.45
Overall average speed      Moving Avg         Max Speed
  10.0  Mph                          11.2 mph            20.6 mph
Total Trip time                   Moving Time       Stopped Time
44:47 mins                          39.48 mins           04.59 mins

No comments:

Post a Comment