Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Wednesday: Cold Ride and Close Call

It was -3 degrees when I left the house this morning but I determined to ride the bike anyway.  I had to get blood drawn at the clinic at 8:00 AM, and the staff were running extremely slow this morning, so it was after 9:00 by the time I got on the bike, and it was STILL cold, very cold, in spite of having 2 hand warmers in each mitten.
Thankfully, the ice patch that downed me 2 nights ago was all dried up this morning so I didn't encounter any slippery spots.  As I approached the Osuna intersection, where bikes are forced up on the street to go through the intersection at Chappel and Osuna, I saw the light turn green as I approached.  By the time I entered the intersection (via the very narrow and sharp S-turn to get off the sidewalk and into the street), the light turned yellow.  I poured on the steam, thinking I could make the crossing before the yellow light turned to red (and the cars all do their race-car instant leaps forward) but it turned RED as I was about halfway through the last lane.  2 cars jumped forward, and I thought for sure I was going to have to stop in the middle of the street avoiding them and causing even more confusion and danger to other oncoming traffic, but they braked for me and let me through, with a couple irritated horn blasts to help me along.  Thanks, guys.... and I now know it ain't possible to make it through an intersection on a yellow light.  When the pedestrian button is not pushed, the light is so short it's difficult enough to make it through on a GREEN light.
I had thought my woolen-stockinged feet were doing remarkably well this morning but I noticed they were numb when I got to work, and they are just starting to feel fully thawed out 1.5 hours after getting inside the building.  I just noticed the "Max Speed" column on the GPS and that is normally achieved on the downhill slopes of the bike underpasses underneath Montgomery, I-25, Paseo, and Alameda.
Morning Stats from the GPS:
Overall average speed    Moving Avg         Max Speed
10.1 Mph                                 10.5 mph            20.4 mph
Total Trip time                   Moving Time       Stopped Time
44:09 mins                             42.31 mins         01.38 mins

No comments:

Post a Comment